By Sujan Sami Program Manager, Industrials
The process analytical instrumentation market registered revenues of more than $2.6 billion in 2017, globally. Key product arenas contributing to this growth include gas chromatography, spectroscopy, gas analyzers, and liquid analyzers.
Vendors are focusing on performing quality control (QC) checks at the manufacturing site, thereby reducing the need for QC at labs. This also helps in reducing time, saving money, and challenges faced in sample preparation. Thus, the need for process analytical instruments is gaining momentum and their features and functionalities are being upgraded. Pharmaceutical, oil and gas, and chemical industries are expected to be the frontrunners in implementing these steps.
From a product standpoint, the tunable diode laser spectroscopy (TDLS) is expected to grow the fastest, with a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 7.3%. The low cost of maintenance and ease of use are the 2 major factors driving the TDLS market growth.
More than 38% of the revenues were generated from North America, and this region is expected to continue to lead, with a focus on pharmaceuticals and oil and gas, especially shale gas. There are several government initiatives in the APAC countries focused on better health and infrastructure growth, driving the need for more analytical instruments. Health and safety is another driving factor in developing countries.
The key drivers boosting market growth include:
- QC in manufacturing sites
- Government initiatives for better healthcare and infrastructure
- Personnel safety in chemical industries
- Technology advancements in sample preparation
On the other hand, there are few restraints hindering market growth. They include:
- Lack of capital expenditure (CAPEX)
- High maintenance costs increasing operational expenditure (OPEX)
Future of Process Instrumentation
There is a huge requirement for analyzers with low cost of ownership that can increase sales in the process industry. Opportunities for growth are different in various regions. While APAC provides the largest opportunity for growth, Europe is comparatively mature; there is not much deployment in emerging countries. TDLS analyzers are expected to grow at a significant growth rate, due to their advantages of low cost and comparatively less maintenance. Maintenance is one of the key challenges faced by customers in the process industry and TDLS analyzers have a good potential for growth, as they address this challenge effectively.
Frost & Sullivan’s analytical instrumentation program focuses on key product deliverables, including chromatography, spectroscopy, gas analyzers, liquid analyzers, material testing, surface science techniques, life science systems, mass spectrometry, X-ray instrumentation, and informatics. Frost & Sullivan has also published several research services:
- Emerging Opportunities in Global Analytical Instrumentation Services and Support Market
- Outlook of the Global Analytical Instrumentation Industry
- Analysis of the Global Mass Spectrometry Market
- Global Analysis of the Oil and Gas Analytical Instrumentation Market
- Analytical Instrumentation Market for Food Testing
- Global Laboratory Analytical Instrumentation Market
- Analysis of the Global Analytical X-ray Instrumentation Market
- Global Process Analytical Instrumentation Market
- Global Water Analysis Instrumentation Market
For any queries related to the article or to purchase a copy of the study, kindly contact Sujan Sami at email@example.com.